Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Filing Income Tax Return using Java Utility on Ubuntu.

My CA audits my accounts and sends me the XML file of Income Tax Return for uploading it to Income Tax Return e-Filing site. I check the XML file by opening it in the Browser or if I see that a thorough check is necessary I use other tools including Excel Utility for which I need Windows.

This year I decided to use the Java Utility available in Downloads section of e-Filing site. When I opened it typing ./ITR.sh in the Terminal it produced an error. On Googling I found that I need an older version of Java to use it.

I went to Java Oracle site and downloaded the old version jre-8u51-linux-x64.tar.gz and extracted it to /opt/jre (I had to create the directory). Since the latest version of JRE openjdk-8-jre 8u66-b01-5 was installed on my Laptop I removed it and had to use "G Alternatives" to add the path /opt/jre/1.8.0_51/bin/java for Oracle Java.

I could then use the utility by typing ./ITR.sh in the Terminal and open the XML File to view the Income Tax Return.

I made necessary changes in the Return after consulting my CA and could submit it directly through the utility without logging to e-Filing site.

1 comment:

Sasi said...

I am an amateur in Linux especially in working with command line operation.i am sure you would find following page https://www.duinsoft.nl/packages.php?t=en interesting.Going step by step i could open the tax utility in Linux mint 19.1....I uninstalled the ibm-java which was on the system...Trust you find it interesting

Creating signed Form 15H file using pdftk and Drive app.

 I had invested in NCDs because there was no TDS on interest income on NCD. But from the current FY 2023-24 there is TDS on interest on NCD....