Thursday, May 13, 2021

Running i3 Window Manager on Ubuntu 20.04 and enjoying it.

 I came to know about i3 Window Manager and decided to try it on Ubuntu 20.04. Installed it through the command:

sudo apt install i3

Logged out of gnome, selected i3 and logged in.

It asked me to configure or accept default, not knowing about configuration I selected default then there was blank screen and I did not know what to do.

I used my Mobile to know how to open Terminal on i3 and got the answer to press  Alt+Enter. On terminal I typed firefox and pressed enter and could open the browser.

Then I googled for how to get menu on i3 and was told to press Alt+d and menu opened on top bar.

I typed sol on menu bar and pressed enter and Aiselriot opened.

Then I googled for i3 User Guide and got the link

i3 User Guide

I learned to maximise a window by pressing Alt+f

In the next session I allowed Ubuntu to configure the i3 Window Manager it changed the Alt key to Win key.

I am learning to use the i3 Window Manager and enjoying it.

I could not open gnome-screenshot utility on i3, therefore I installed scrot

sudo apt install scrot

When I typed scrot and enter on the menu it took the following screenshot:


Which is the screen on Ubuntu configured i3 Window Manager

I added following lines to my i3 config file:

# Added by me to add Indian Keyboard Layout and adjust screen brightness on start up.
exec "setxkbmap -layout us,in"
exec "setxkbmap -option 'grp:alt_shift_toggle'"

exec "xrandr --output eDP --brightness 0.5"

No comments:

Air India direct flight to San Fransisco has flown through China today.

 My sister in law left for San Fransisco by AI 173 flight which flows over North Pole. I tracked that flight on flightstats.com till it land...