Saturday, May 22, 2021

error: file ‘/boot/vmlinuz-5.12-X86-64’ not found on Manjaro grub after failed update.

 I am running Manjaro Linux since Sep 2020. There was a big update (larger than 1 GB) on 20th May 2021 and I left the Laptop after the update began.

After 30 minutes I found blank screen and could not even open a terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2. I pressed the power button to shutdown.

After restart I got the error: file ‘/boot/vmlinuz-5.12-X86-64’ not found you need to load the kernel first and could not proceed.

I logged in Ubuntu 20.04 and posted on Manjaro Forum and was asked to boot from Manjaro Live USB open the terminal and type:

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo su - [manjaro ~]# manjaro-chroot -a grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1. Check your device.map. grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1. Check your device.map. ==> Detected systems: --> 0) Ubuntu --> 1) ManjaroLinux ==> Select system to mount [0-1] : 1 ==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sda7] --> mount: [/mnt] --> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi] [manjaro /]# rm -f /var/lib/pacman/db.lck [manjaro /]# pacman -Syu :: Synchronizing package databases... core is up to date extra 1910.3 KiB 498 KiB/s 00:04 [######################] 100% community is up to date multilib is up to date :: Starting full system upgrade... there is nothing to do

[manjaro /]#

It did not work.
Then I was asked to do:
# mkinitcpio -P
error no presets found
Then I was advised to list the installed kernels:
# mhwd-kernel -li 
and install at least one kernel
# mhwd-kernel -i linux510
I could not install linux510 but could install linux512
# mhwd-kernel -i linux512
After that I could login to installed Manjaro system using linux 5.12
I could reinstall linux510 through the same command on installed system.
 
 

No comments:

Air India direct flight to San Fransisco has flown through China today.

 My sister in law left for San Fransisco by AI 173 flight which flows over North Pole. I tracked that flight on flightstats.com till it land...