Thursday, January 14, 2021

Enjoying Xubuntu Live persistent on Dell Inspiron N4010 P11G

I came to Hyderabad to spend winter. I borrowed Dell Inspiron N4010 3 GB model with Windows 7 Professional for personal use. Before leaving home I had uploaded required Gnucash Files and Libreoffice files to Drive.

I downloaded Xubuntu 20.04 64 bit ISO while working on Windows 7 and installed Rufus to make Live USB with persistence. Making Live USB on Rufus was smooth.

I changed the Boot sequence in BIOS to bring USB drive on top and and booted to Try Ubuntu Install Ubuntu Desktop and choose Try Ubuntu. To remove the Try Ubiuntu/Install Ubuntu option I removed Ubiquity.

After shutdown the system asked for removal of USB. I wanted to remove this irritant and posted on Ubuntuforums. I got the following solution

xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ sudo mousepad /etc/systemd/system/casper-no-prompt.service

I wrote the file and saved it

# see /sbin/casper-stop
[Unit]
Description=Casper no-prompt

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=touch /run/casper-no-prompt

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ sudo systemctl daemon-reload
xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ sudo systemctl enable casper-no-prompt
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/casper-no-prompt.service → /etc/systemd/system/casper-no-prompt.service.
xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ sudo systemctl start casper-no-prompt
xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ sudo systemctl status casper-no-prompt
● casper-no-prompt.service - Casper no-prompt
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/casper-no-prompt.service; enabled; ven>
     Active: inactive (dead) since Sun 2021-01-17 15:04:41 IST; 20s ago
    Process: 23020 ExecStart=/usr/bin/touch /run/casper-no-prompt (code=exited,>
   Main PID: 23020 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jan 17 15:04:41 xubuntu systemd[1]: Starting Casper no-prompt...
Jan 17 15:04:41 xubuntu systemd[1]: casper-no-prompt.service: Succeeded.
Jan 17 15:04:41 xubuntu systemd[1]: Finished Casper no-prompt.
xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ ls -l /run/casper-no-prompt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 17 15:04 /run/casper-no-prompt

Now I can shutdown safely without removing USB.

I installed Gnucash and Libreoffice was already present.

Live Xubuntu 20.04 is very fast on this 3 GB machine.

Enjoying it.


No comments:

Air India direct flight to San Fransisco has flown through China today.

 My sister in law left for San Fransisco by AI 173 flight which flows over North Pole. I tracked that flight on flightstats.com till it land...