Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Adjusting Screen Brightness, Adding amsynth and Hindi Keyboard on Zenwalk 15 milestone 2020 XFCE 4.14.

 As posted in previous post I am having trial run of Zenwalk 15 milestone 2020 on my acer aspire Laptop. After adding the required software through Flatpak I started looking for a Synthesizer. On netpkg (the Zenwalk Cli only Package manager) you can search on one source at a time. After changing the source from slackware64-current to shrepos/current I could install amsynth and try my newly acquired usb midi controller. It worked well.

Screen brightness could not be set through the XFCE Widget. I used the commands:

 xrandr -q | grep " connected"

eDP connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 193mm

xrandr --output eDP --brightness 0.5

To reduce the brightness.

I need to use Hindi and Marathi on the Laptop so I added the indic keyboard but the Keyboard switching did not work. It seems to be a bug in XFCE Desktop.

Then I tried the good old command "setxkbmap -layout in" which resulted into following error:

Error loading new keyboard description

After googling I found that the culprit was the in symbol file in the newest version of xkeyboard (xkeyboard-config-2.30-noarch-1.txz).

I opened the file

bash-5.0# geany /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/in

and scrolled to line no 2329 =======

and commented out by putting # in front of it.

I tried the command "setxkbmap -layout in" once again and it worked.

Then I used the following to add the keyboard:

setxkbmap -layout "us,in"

and the XFCE Keyboard switcher also showed the two keyboards and the switching worked.

NB: XFCE 4.14 has a bug. I need to add the keyboard after every boot through the command:

setxkbmap -layout "us,in"

In a way it is good that I need to relearn the Linux commands to use Zenwalk Linux.

No comments:

Air India direct flight to San Fransisco has flown through China today.

 My sister in law left for San Fransisco by AI 173 flight which flows over North Pole. I tracked that flight on flightstats.com till it land...