Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Zenwalk 6.0

I decided to try the new Zenwalk 6.0. As usual I copied the contents of the iso to a partition and found nice article on Zenwalk Wiki. Accordingly I edited the existing /boot/grub/menu.lst:
title Zenwalk 6.0 install
root (hd0,X)
kernel /kernels/ata/bzImage
initrd /isolinux/initrd.img
As per instructions I selected "Exit setup" and got root shell where I mounted the extracted iso:
cd /
mkdir zeniso
mount /dev/sda(X+1) /zeniso
setup
and started the installation. When it asked for source selection I selected "Install from a pre-mounted directory" and when asked for the directory where the installation files are:
/zeniso
and continued the install. I did not install the bootloader and edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst once again to make an entry for Zenwalk:
title Zenwalk 6.0 (on /dev/hda6)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.7 root=/dev/sda6 ro
initrd /boot/initrd.splash
Next step was to connect to internet on newly installed Zenwalk 6.0 but I had to struggle because Wicd 1.5.9 does not detect the wired ethernet connections properly. I had to setup as follows:
$ su
Password:
# ifconfig eth0 down
# ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
# route add default gw 192.168.1.1
# exit
I am yet to find out a way to save the above configuration.

After choosing the timezone the clock did not indicate my time. I discovered that Zenwalk was assuming that the hardware clock was set to localtime (which is actually UTC). After struggling a little I found the file /etc/hardwareclock and changed the word 'localtime' to 'UTC' and it worked.

I also installed ttf-indic fonts and flash-plugin using Netpkg.

Zenwalk 6.0 has XFCE 4.6 which I had briefly used on Arch Linux the day it was released and now trying it on Zenwalk.

3 comments:

Anup Jayapal Rao said...

Hi Kamalakar,

I am a Zenwalk user and I just love it. I noticed that you use Indic fonts. Can you tell me if there a tutorial on how to use Indic fonts with SCIM? So far I have only managed a few hindi words by experimentation.

Regards,
Anup

Kamalakar Agashe said...

I install indic fonts mainly to read Hindi websites. For typing I just add the 'in' Keyboard Layout and switch the keyboard and type normally. I don't require SCIM and have never used it.

Anonymous said...

# /etc/rc.d/rc.inetd stop
# nano /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf

edit it where it says:


# Config information for eth0:
IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.3"
NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"
USE_DHCP[0]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""

Find
# Default gateway IP address:
GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"


save and reboot

this is how your static is saved and started each bootup

Air India direct flight to San Fransisco has flown through China today.

 My sister in law left for San Fransisco by AI 173 flight which flows over North Pole. I tracked that flight on flightstats.com till it land...