Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2005

XFCE the fast Desktop on Linux.

Hi,

The popular desktops KDE and Gnome available on Linux are slow to load on any Linux distribution. I have only 128 Mb RAM, therefore, I decided to switch to XFCE desktop. After login the XFCE desktop loads within 10 seconds. The applications also load faster.

I use more than one keyboard layout. I could add the keyboard layout switcher to the panel but found only the default keyboard layout, although, I had alreadt added another keyboard layout while working in Gnome. After searching I found the answer on XFCE Wiki under Tips, Tricks and Howtos.

There are so many plugins on Xfce Goodies
I added laptop battery monitor and weather update to my desktop.

Xfce is really a light feature rich desktop.

kagashe
Post a Comment