Sunday, February 08, 2009

Making custom Ubuntu Live CD using Remastersys

I use LXDE desktop on Ubuntu and wanted to make a Live CD from the hard disk installation. It was so easy using Remastersys.

I added Remastersys repositories to the sources:
deb http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/repository remastersys/

Then installed Remastersys:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install remastersys

There was a menu entry "Remastersys backup" which I clicked, selected "Dist" and clicked on ok.

After some time "customdist.iso" was created in /home/remastersys/remastersys

I burned the iso to a CD and it works.

My custom distribution is Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron on LXDE with all updates, gnome-games, Brasero, Mplayer, GPIC Viewer, xpdf, Synaptic, Firefox 3.0.5 (with Adobe Flash Player), Pidgin, Transmission, OpenOffice.org 3.0.1, PCManFM, Leafpad, Xarchiver. The size of the iso is 686.5 MB

3 comments:

Muhammad Noor S A said...

hello mr... i was trying to backup my ubuntu 9.04 with minimal size of iso that created by remastersys.

but when i uninstall some program like openoffice and gimp, and backup it with remastersys...
.iso created still in size of 700 MB...
i need 512 mb or less

can you help me

Thanks...

Network Forensics said...

I am doing the same thing except I have customized the menu to include some of my work tools. I copied the .config directory from my directory to /etc/skel but I still cannot get the menus to carry over into the iso. Do you have any ideas on this?

Mark Morgan

runeks said...

For any Google searchers ending up here wanting to know the answer to Mark's question above:
~/.config is created from /etc/xdg in the live CD filesystem. So any files (or folders) you need to end up in the .config folder in your home directory, copy them to /etc/xdg

Creating signed Form 15H file using pdftk and Drive app.

 I had invested in NCDs because there was no TDS on interest income on NCD. But from the current FY 2023-24 there is TDS on interest on NCD....