Tuesday, November 18, 2008

ZTE MG880 CDMA USB Modem on Puppy Linux

Reliance India provides ZTE MG880 CDMA USB Modem and one friend of my son-in-law arrived yesterday with a Laptop on which Windows partition was reformatted recently and he had no driver CD for the Modem. In addition sound was not working on the Windows desktop.

I popped in Puppy Linux 4.0 CD into his Laptop and showed him how to mount his Windows NTFS partitions and started playing one MP3 file from D:/ drive. Then I opened one .doc file into Abiword. He was very much impressed. Then he gave me the USB modem and asked me how to connect.

Puppy Linux could detect the modem but could not load the module. I googled and found the solution which was working on Ubuntu.
# modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0xfffd

and to use the following /etc/wvdial.conf file:
[Dialer zte]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = #777
Username = 93XXXXXXXX
Password = 93XXXXXXXX
ISDN = 0
SetVolume = 0
FlowControl = Hardware (CRTSCTS)
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Dial Command = ATDT
Baud = 460800
Stupid Mode = 1

The above configuration did not work on Puppy. Then I found that Puppy was linking the modem to /dev/USB/ttyUSB0, accordingly, I changed the Modem= line to:
Modem=/dev/USB/ttyUSB0

After changing the line I got following error:
PPP daemon dies (exit code =2).

On checking /var/log/messages following errors were found:
(none) daemon.err pppd[6304]: Can't open options file /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial: No such file or directory
(none) daemon.err pppd[6317]: Can't open options file /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial: No such file or directory
(none) daemon.err pppd[6352]: Can't open options file /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial: No such file or directory

I copied the file /etc/ppp/wvdial into /etc/ppp/peers directory and finally, I could connect to internet.

He wished that there was Skype on Puppy. I got the link for .pet for Skype on Puppy Linux Forums and installed.

I think I have added one user in the Puppy Linux community.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Agashe

Your posting helped me to set up ZTE MG880 modem on Puppy NOP 4.1.2 with xfce, which I believe is better than the original puppy. Thanks for your help.

First I did it exactly as done by you but didn't work for me. So I made a slight change by replacing /dev/USB/ttyUSB0 with /dev/ttyUSB0. This time I could connect successfully. But when I rebooted my pc and tried to dial with pupdial, it failed to detect the device. To connect again I had to type "modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0xfffd" every time I rebooted my system. After some googling I found the following solution.

1) Create wvdial.conf in directory /etc with the following text.

[Dialer zte]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = #777
Username = xxxxxxxxxx
Password = xxxxxxxxxx
ISDN = 0
SetVolume = 0
FlowControl = Hardware (CRTSCTS)
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Dial Command = ATDT
Baud = 460800
Stupid Mode = 1

2) Edit the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local by adding the following text.

rmmod usb-storage &
rmmod usbserial &
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0xfffd &

3) Restart the PC and launch PupDial. Check "stupid mode" and uncheck "carier check", "busy check", "dialtone check" and "auto reconnect". Then click "connect to internet".

Regards
Naseer

Air India direct flight to San Fransisco has flown through China today.

 My sister in law left for San Fransisco by AI 173 flight which flows over North Pole. I tracked that flight on flightstats.com till it land...