Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Using Wayland Display Server on Ubuntu 17.10 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

After reading on omgubuntu that Wayland will be the default Display Server on Ubuntu 17.10 (under development) I downloaded the Daily ISO of Ubuntu 17.10 and installed on one spare partition.

For those who are not aware Ubuntu has dropped Unity and Gnome will be the Desktop for Ubuntu 17.10. Gnome already has Wayland session.

At login I selected Ubuntu Wayland Session and could login and use the Gnome Desktop without any difficulty.

After testing I connected my Android Phone through Bluetooth and tried to play the Music from JioMusic on Laptop speakers and it worked. But I could not transfer the photographs from the phone.

After searching I found a Bug and workaround. To use the workaround permanently I used the following commands:
sudo systemctl --global enable obex

gnome-session-properties
Add a new entry:
Name: gnome-user-share-obexpush
Command: /usr/lib/gnome-user-share/gnome-user-share-obexpush
Save

Enable the new entry through the command or relogin.


I could transfer the photos to the laptop.


Now I decided to use Wayland on my present OS i.e. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
I had already added Gnome Desktop earlier since it is going to be the default Desktop in upcoming versions. I installed gnome-session-wayland logged out and tried to login after selecting Gnome Wayland session but could not login.


Then I discovered that there is a Bug for login through LightDM greeter.
I  switched to GDM3 through:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3

Now I could use Wayland on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS as well by selecting Gnome Wayland session.

No comments:

Creating signed Form 15H file using pdftk and Drive app.

 I had invested in NCDs because there was no TDS on interest income on NCD. But from the current FY 2023-24 there is TDS on interest on NCD....